" Failures are divided into two classes - those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought." -John Charles Salak





Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oakland - The Town



Oakland: Dangerous City, Negative Influences, Failure, my home

I was born and raised in East Oakland and even if I could change that fact, I wouldn’t dare to do so. Oakland is known for its bad “rates” but the town is much more than just that.

I remember when I was in 10th grade, a couple of students from my school and I went to Stanford University for a Student Summer Program. Students from all over California came together to discuss how we can become true leaders, improve our public schools and many other topics. We stayed in campus housing for 3 days, therefore we were paired up with another person to share the dorm with. My roommate was an Asian girl from LA. When I introduced myself, she asked me,” So, where are you from?” When I said “Oakland” she looked scared and she asked me, “Do you have a gun with you?” I couldn’t believe she was actually serious. I didn’t take it seriously though, I just laughed at her. By that, she became more frighten, actually.

To some extend it does bother me that people think so badly of Oakland. I have lived here my whole life and I have never been jumped, shot, or served time. Although there are negative things in Oakland, there are also many powerful and positive aspects that make this city very unique. Oakland has made history. Not only has Oakland changed hip hop and rap music, but also it has changed the dictionary. Of course, people that don’t live here only focus and mention the negative things.

Another thing that I hate is the low expectations that people have for the youth in Oakland. I feel like people don’t expect teenagers to do go in school, if any they expect them to fail. People that don’t live in Oakland, and even some that do live here, think that we (teenagers) can’t become a success in life because of where we come from. I am very proud to say that I am proving those people to be very wrong about all of us. I believe that it doesn’t matter where we come from, as long as we have our mind set to our goals. Just because I was raised in Oakland, I don’t feel like that is a disadvantage, or that other people have it better than If anything, Oakland has showed me how powerful we all are, and has giving me a sense of strength and endurance.

I will have to leave Oakland to go to college, but I know I will come back here because there is no place like home. I will come back to my community and prove that anything is possible. I know that there is no place like this. In Oakland we have many cultures and ethnicities that are not seen in other cities or states in the U.S.


To the teeens of Oakland: You shouldn’t fall into believing that what other people say about you is true. Only you know what you are and what you are capable of doing. Prove them to be wrong!

-Danni♥

8 comments:

babycheeks said...

i heka like to read your stuff. it's so well written and it makes you want to read more.

-ale =)

Nani said...

It is true Oakland is known for it's violence but it is not. I'm a senior graduating and I can speak for myself that I got myself an education. I would be attending UC Berkeley in the fall, with the help of resources like College and Career center and much more.

LaUrA said...

HEy!. Everythin you said is right! you said everythin people need to hear about our city. Oakland is a great place and you prove it=]

Square Bear (Jackie) said...

Are you serious? She really asked you have a gun?! I would have just said yes to scare the sh*t out of her for even asking that! You would have probably gotten in trouble though...so yeah, good thing you didn't! By the way, how did you get your picture to scroll across the screen? That was super special awesome!! \(*^o^*)/

d2fly3 said...

i really liked ths one!!! i liked how you talked about even some of the grown-ups here think tha us as teenagers won't do good...
-Delilah

d2fly3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ralo said...

why would da gurl from L.A ask u if u gota gun????? dat doesnt make sense why would u take a gun to a summer program jaja


-RAlo

mosvalublpelayo said...

hi